Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ultra Geist Diary # 4



First screen-shots. Haven't put in background yet. Sprites are appealingly blocky/symmetrical-- well, appealing to me, anyway. I'm using the explosion sprite that's packed in with Game Maker 8, because I like it very, very much-- otherwise, it's all me, baby.

The HUD: time meter on left, score/experience meter on right, w/ score modifier in the middle, tied to the number of enemies onscreen at a time. This, I think, will be one of the dominant mechanics for the player to exploit-- being smart about how you approach this modifier in the first stage, for example, can shave thirty seconds off your time-- thirty seconds being awfully precious in a three minute shmup.

Discarded the power-up system I was thinking of to keep the game more focused; I think I need to add some kind of progress indicator, though, so that you know which stage you're on and how many stages you have left to go. Would like to do this in a visual, bar-based or intuitive way as opposed to a "level one/two/three" text.

As you can see, there are two weapons in the game. In keeping with Yo Yo's contest rules, both weapons use the same action button. I'm actually going to try to squeeze in a third if I can get the button timing right and if it doesn't complicate things too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment